High Court of Jharkhand, Ranchi
A circuit bench of the Patna High Court was established at Ranchi with effect from 6th March, 1972 under clause 36 of the Letter Patent of that High Court. The bench was established to meet the needs of the Adivasi Population of the Chota Nagpur area in erthswhile State of Bihar.
The Circuit bench was made Permanent Bench of Patna High Court, by Act no. 57 of 1976, by High Court at Patna (Establishment of Permanent Bench AT Ranchi) Act 1976 with effect from 8th April 1976.
The Jharkhand High Court came into existence after reorganization of state of Bihar in existing state of Bihar and Jharkhand on 15th November 2000.
Jharkhand is a state in eastern India. It was carved out of the southern part of Bihar on 15 November 2000. Jharkhand shares its border with the states of Bihar to the north, Uttar Pradesh and Chhattisgarh to the west, Orissa to the south, and West Bengal to the east. It has an area of 28,833 sq mi (74,677 km²). The industrial city of Ranchi is its capital while Jamshedpur is the largest city of the state. Some of the other major cities and industrial centres are Dhanbad, Bokaro and Hazaribagh.
The name “Jharkhand” means “The Land of Forests”.
Ranchi is the capital of the Indian state of Jharkhand. Jharkhand accounts for 40% of the mineral resources of India. Ranchi accounts for 50% mineral production of the state, nearing about 18% of nation’s mineral production. For this reason Ranchi is also called the Manchester of the East. Ranchi was the centre of the Jharkhand movement for a separate state for the tribal regions of South Bihar, northern Orissa, Western West Bengal and the present eastern Chhattisgarh. Jharkhand State was formed on 15 November 2000 by carving the Bihar divisions of Chota Nagpur and Santhal Parganas.
The name Ranchi comes from the name of a local bird. Up to 1927, the place was known as Rachi.